The brainchild of Donald Matheson, General Manager of the Caledonian Railway Company, who had a passion for outdoor sports and the Scottish countryside, Gleneagles first opened to the public in 1924: a sprawling country house hotel with its very own world-leading golf course. Having been turned over to the war effort during WWII, first as a military hospital, then a miners’ rehabilitation centre, it made its glorious return to the hotel scene in 1947.
Beloved by the great and the glamorous of high society, aristocrats and artists alike would flock to Gleneagles for grouse shooting season, as well as to take advantage of the famed golf course. It went on to become a destination for many other sporting pursuits, with a Health Club, Shooting School, Equestrian School and the British School of Falconry. It’s also a coveted destination among food aficionados, home to Scotland’s only two Michelin-starred restaurant, and today features a sprawling, 18-treatment-room spa.