Harry, 36, and his wife Meghan, 39, stepped down as “senior” members of the Royal family last year, with a 12 month review being agreed.
Now the year is up, the couple — who are expecting their second child — have told The Queen that they have stepped down permanently.
It is stated that Prince Harry himself held a conversation with his 94 year old grandmother to discuss his and Meghan’s future, which will now mainly take place outside of the Royal family.
Get exclusive celebrity stories and fabulous photoshoots straight to your inbox with OK!’s daily newsletter. You can sign up at the top of the page.
A statement issued by the Royal family reads: “Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.
“The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.”
The statement continues: “While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.”
Harry and Meghan had taken up a number of patronages during their time as working royals, which will now revert to The Queen.
The military, Commonwealth and Charitable associations which will revert to The Queen are The Royal Marines, RAF Honington, Royal Navy Small Ships and Diving, The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust, The Rugby Football Union, The Rugby Football League, The Royal National Theatre and The Association of Commonwealth Universities.
The announcement came just hours after it was reported Prince Harry is currently “self isolating” in case he needs to rush back to the UK as his grandfather, Prince Philip, remains in hospital.
His 99 year old grandad was admitted to hospital on Tuesday evening as a “precautionary measure,” and is expected to remain there for “a few days.”
Harry is said to be being kept “regularly informed” of his grandfather’s condition and has “made arrangements to fly by private jet” if needs be.
A source said of the Prince’s decision: “Harry is of course concerned for his grandfather’s welfare and is being kept regularly informed on his condition.
“He has chosen to stay in case he is required to return to the UK at short notice,” the insider continued to tell the Mirror.
The publication went on to claim that Harry would be tested for coronavirus before leaving the US and again before entering the UK if he were to fly home.
Prince Harry is expected to return to England this summer but will not be joined by Meghan, who is expecting their second child together.