3 3 3 SP 111 Cals 7.7 Protein 9.2 Carbs 5.5 Fats 134
This easy makeover Spinach Gratin is creamy and decadent, with a hint of nutmeg baked in the oven topped with melted Gruyere cheese for a must at your Holiday table!
Makeover Spinach Gratin
I bring this dish to my mom’s every year for Thanksgiving because everyone loves it! Much lighter than a traditional gratin and so easy to make! This is a must for the holidays but if you want to make this for a smaller gathering, you can easily make half of the recipe. More gratin recipes I love Brussels sprouts gratin, Spiralized Turnip and Potato Au Gratin with Turkey or the classic Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin.
If you don’t know what a gratin is, it’s basically creamed spinach topped with cheese and baked in the oven.
- I used Gruyere here but Swiss or Mozzarella would work.
- You can also skip the melted cheese on top and serve it as a simple creamed spinach instead.
- Make this gluten-free using an all purpose gluten-free flour mix, such as Cup4cup.
How To Make Spinach Gratin
More Vegetable Side Dishes:
- Green Bean Salad
- Roasted Asparagus
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Maple Soy Glazed Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash with Bacon
- Butternut Squash Gratin
Makeover Spinach Gratin
111 Cals 7.7 Protein 9.2 Carbs 5.5 Fats
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
Creamy spinach with a hint of nutmeg is baked in the oven topped with melted cheese for a decadent Holiday side dish.
- 3 tbsp whipped butter, I used Land O Lakes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup flour, use Gluten free AP flour for GF
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 lbs frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, I used 3 16-oz packages
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
Preheat the oven to 425F°.
In a heavy-bottomed saute pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 10 – 12 minutes.
Add the flour and nutmeg; cook 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the milk and cook until thickened, about 5 – 7 minutes.
Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce.
Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season to taste, with salt and pepper.
Transfer the spinach to a large baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and the Swiss cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve hot.
Serving: 1/2 cup, Calories: 111kcal, Carbohydrates: 9.2g, Protein: 7.7g, Fat: 5.5g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 17.5mg, Sodium: 287mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 2.6g
Blue Smart Points: 3
Green Smart Points: 3
Purple Smart Points: 3
Points +: 3
Keywords: creamed spinach gratin, How to make Spinach Gratin, spinach au gratin, Spinach Gratin
posted November 18, 2021 by Gina
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Get new free recipes and exclusive content delivered right to your inbox: